Theuncertainty of lockdown, which is imposed on various industries day by day, has made more and more women dye their hair at home.
It’s also a good way to save money, especially if you have long hair and it cost you a fortune to color it. Check out our colouring guide, which will help you colour your hair perfectly at home without any unpleasant surprises
The colour is all there is to it
It will come as no surprise to you that when it comes to colouring your hair at home, choosing the right product is very important. It is essential to check its composition before buying it.
The cosmetic must be free from:
– ammonia – destroys the structure of the hair and makes it split;
– Carcinogens – Avoid as much as possible hair dyes that contain phenylenediamine, 4-methoxy-m-phenylenediamine, 4-chloro-m-phenylenediamine, 4-amino-2-nitrophenol and 2-4-toluenediamine
– allergens – such as resorcinols, hydrogen peroxide, parabens, nickel;
Moisturizers and oils that protect hair from drying are welcome.
>> See also: The effect of a natural tan. Choosing a streak-free self-tanner
It is also necessary to know the shade of the paint. This one may be slightly different from the one presented on the package. There are several factors to consider, such as the porosity of the hair, its natural shade, and the amount of pigment contained in the product.
Be sure to do an allergy test before colouring your hair. Remember that dye can cause sensitization even if it has already been tested. Apply a small amount of the product on the neck or behind the ear and wait for about 2 minutes. If there is no redness or itching after this time, it is a sign that the product is safe for you.
Prepare your work area
Before coloring, put on your work clothes and try to protect the floor from splashes. Also, open the window and make a space for mixing the paint.
Prepare a mixing bowl, a wide-toothed comb and gloves. The bowl is used to combine the paint with the activator. Place the tools on a towel so that the countertop does not get damaged while mixing and applying the paint.
Home colouring step by step
- Check the instructions on the package and follow the manufacturer’s directions. Mix the activator with the dye, preferably in a place where there is no natural sunlight, because it can affect the pigment.
- Brush your hair very carefully and then divide it into four sections. Separate four strands at the back of your head – divide your hair into two, and then divide half again: one strand at the top and the other at the bottom. Secure the top strand with a hair clamp and wrap it so that it does not interfere with the application of colorant.
- Be sure to protect the hairline with hair cream or Vaseline. Do the same with the line behind your ear.
- Use a brush to apply the color from the top to the bottom of your hair, separating out even smaller sections beforehand so that the product covers the entire hair structure. For thicker strands like the forehead, you may want to apply a bit more. For a fuller effect and precise coloration, create partings every 2 cm.
- Finally, massage the remaining paint into your scalp to distribute it thoroughly.
- If you happen to get some paint on your ears or neck, use a cotton pad soaked in water or micellar solution to quickly rinse it off.
- Leave the dye on your hair for as long as the instructions say.
- After the specified time, shampoo your hair. Repeat this process until the water becomes less colored. Even a few days after coloring, you may still notice that the color slightly transfers to the water after washing. This is normal because products have different types of pigment and color saturation
- To wash your head, use a shampoo without SLS and designed for colored hair. You can also buy useful colour-protecting masks and conditioners at professional retailers.
How often should I colour my hair?
For a long-lasting result, you can colour your hair once every four weeks. It is also a good idea to color the roots only. To do this, use the same product as you used to color your entire hair.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *